The Ultimate Ecuador Honeymoon Guide
What is it that makes an Ecuador Honeymoon ideal for your once-in-a-lifetime vacation? In a nutshell, the country's impressive biodiversity, natural wonders, breathtaking landscapes, temperate year-round climate, and passionate people naturally lend themselves to romance and excitement. This small country also boasts two top bucket-list travel destinations – the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon Rainforest - perfect for a unique and unforgettable honeymoon.
With so many destinations to choose from it helps to be able to customize your very own unique Ecuador Honeymoon itinerary. We'll show you exactly how to do that, and more!
So, keep reading for all of our top picks of romantic Ecuador honeymoon destinations to celebrate your special occasion in style.
The Best Ecuador Honeymoon Destinations
1. The Galapagos Islands
Few Ecuador honeymoon destinations capture the imagination like the Galapagos Islands. The archipelago is truly unlike any other place on the planet, and for good reason is recognized as one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. A Honeymoon in Galapagos is like walking into your very own Discovery Channel documentary!
Imagine pristine white sand beaches that you’ll share with playful sea lions rather than hordes of tourists. Discover uninhabited islands teeming with diverse birds and animals, many of which can only be found in the Galapagos. Snorkel or scuba dive at some of the best marine sites in the world. Enjoy romantic al fresco wining and dining. Snap unforgettable Ecuador honeymoon photos with breathtaking volcanic landscape backdrops. Without a doubt, the Galapagos Islands go way beyond your typical honeymoon vacation package.
There are various options available for an unforgettable Galapagos honeymoon. Small 16-passenger liveaboard cruises make complete loops of the archipelago, reaching far-away islands for a more secluded getaway. Galapagos land trips combine hotel stays on different islands with day tours, to give you greater flexibility and freedom to explore. While a Galapagos resort like Finch Bay Hotel or the fabulous Pikaia Lodge offers a more conventional resort-style honeymoon vacation.
So, if you’re both looking for a truly unique place to honeymoon, a place that inspires wonder and will live on in your memories for the rest of your lives together, the Galapagos Islands tick all the boxes!
2. The Amazon Rainforest
Next up on our Ecuador Honeymoon destination list is another dream location that surely needs no introduction – the Amazon Rainforest. Why not start your new life together as an adventure?
The Amazon is one the most biodiverse ecosystems on the planet – a dream destination for nature lovers. It’s an explosion for the senses – sights and sounds that carry you into a new, unimaginable world. Experienced native guides introduce you to the hidden secrets of the lush forest – medicinal plants, wildlife spotting, and cultural experiences to share with local indigenous communities.
Ecuador’s rainforest can even be a luxurious experience. Beautiful thatched lodges like Napo Wildlife Center and Sacha Lodge blend in perfectly with the harmony of the surrounding forest. Others like La Selva Lodge even have an onsite spa for special pampering. Another great choice is Amazon River cruising aboard the Manatee Explorer or Anakonda ships – drifting romantically through the primary forest with fun activities to enjoy along the way.
The Amazon should be high up on your Ecuador honeymoon list for those looking to escape the modern world and immerse themselves deep into the magic of nature.
3. The Andean Mountains
For adventurous souls, the Andes offer an active and exciting Ecuador honeymoon playground. Active snow-capped volcanoes smolder, rivers, and waterfalls flow through lush, green landscapes into spell-binding lakes, while Indian communities welcome visitors warmly dressed in colorful ponchos.
Ecuador’s highlands are dotted with National parks waiting to be explored. The options are boundless – trekking, horse-riding, rafting, mountain biking, canyoning, ziplining & much more. Some of the must-see destinations that couples traveling in Ecuador’s Sierra always love are Cotopaxi Volcano National Park, Otavalo handicraft market, Papallacta Hot Spring Resort, Baños Town and the waterfall route, Quilotoa Crater Lake, El Cajas Lake District and the Avenue of the Volcanoes.
Why not spice it up more with a few romantic nights at a colonial lodging like Hacienda Cusin or Hacienda Zuleta? Centuries of history and charm combine for a magical experience set in elegant surroundings, where old traditions arouse curiosity and cozy fireplaces warm the soul.
The Andes is your perfect choice for an active Ecuador honeymoon with stunning mountain scenery.
4. The Cloud Forest
For something a little different why not head into Ecuador’s cloud forest – an enchanted fairytale woodland, shrouded in mystery? This is an other-worldly land of beautiful orchids, colorful butterflies, and carpets of green moss. Amazing hummingbirds flit between flowers in search of nectar. Shy Andean bears hideaway deep in the forest. Crystal-clear waterfalls and streams flow gently down the mountains. Bird watchers and nature lovers cannot fail to fall in love in this world of tranquility.
Mashpi Lodge is a logical Ecuador honeymoon choice, blending luxurious lodging into 3200 hectares of pristine forest. Mashpi is recognized as a National Geographic Unique Lodge of the World, as well as featured as one of BBC’s Amazing Hotels. Bellavista Lodge is another top choice, with comfortable suites overlooking the forest canopy, and hundreds of colorful hummingbirds buzzing around the lodge feeding stations.
5. Culture & Romance in Ecuador's Cities
Last of our destination picks for a honeymoon in Ecuador are the cities of Guayaquil and the UNESCO heritage centers of Quito and Cuenca. Combine vibrant nightlife with fine dining, colonial architecture, cultural museums, and wonderful cityscapes to add more spice to your Ecuador honeymoon vacation.
Quito, Ecuador’s capital city, boasts the best preserved colonial center in all of Latin America, as well as a huge variety of museums and cultural centers. Whisk yourselves away among the charming city plazas, opulent churches, and fine, historic architecture. Visit urban parks and botanical gardens that showcase the modern side of Quito city. Splurge at romantic colonial-style hotels like Illa Experience and Casa Gangotena, with dreamy suites and spectacular sunset views across the old town area.
Cuenca is Ecuador’s undisputed city of romance. Cobbled streets wind past white-washed colonial buildings, the impressive blue-domed cathedral, small quaint plazas, and four picturesque rivers. It’s a city that is proud of its traditions, where famous writers, poets, and artists have chosen to stay. The city’s restaurants offer some of the finest dining in the country, creating unique fusions of traditional flavor with modern tastes. There are even ancient Inca ruins to explore.
Guayaquil has more of an exotic and passionate feel. This coastal city is famous for its vibrant nightlight, great seafood, and salsa dancing. The climate is more tropical here, but the breeze on the Guayas River Malecon boardwalk makes strolling pleasant. For a unique honeymoon stay check out Hacienda La Danesa; set in a lush cocoa plantation they show guests how to make chocolate from bean to bar, and offer horse riding trips to explore this working farm.
Why Choose Happy Gringo For Your Ecuador Honeymoon?
So, that was plenty of food for thought, but how to pull it all together into your dream Ecuador honeymoon?
Happy Gringo are considered leaders in custom-made Ecuador itineraries. We love nothing more than to design unique travel itineraries, especially for you. Just let us know some of the ideas that you have in mind, and we’ll blend them into the Ecuador honeymoon itinerary that you dared to dream about. A marriage between two people is unique, so why shouldn’t your honeymoon to celebrate that unity also be unique?
Of course a honeymoon vacation is not just about destinations, it’s also about the special details. Flowers and champagne waiting in your room. Romantic dining with spell-binding views. A private museum opening in the evening just for the two of you. A blessing for your future life together from a shaman. No request is too great and no detail is too small.
Contact us to take the first step in planning your Ecuador honeymoon. First, we want to hear all of your dreams and ideas. Then we’ll create an itinerary to make it happen! All tour designs and quotes are completely free of charge, with no obligations to book.
Top Tips For Ecuador Honeymoon Planning
Planning your honeymoon is an exciting part of your wedding plans. But it can also be a cause of considerable stress. Check out our top tips to make Ecuador honeymoon planning as smooth as possible.
- Plan your Ecuador Honeymoon together. Your first married trip together will be successful only if both husband and wife are involved in trip planning. Two heads are better than one when it comes to getting your creative juices flowing. For a perfectly balanced trip, include ideas from both sides. We also recommend sharing the tasks involved with booking the trip.
- Plan & book early. Most engaged couples experience enough anxiety with wedding plans as the big day looms closer, so why add honeymoon stress to the mix? By planning the honeymoon trip early, couples can focus more on wedding day details. You’ll also be able to guarantee that dream suite or cruise cabin, without the risk of missing out.
- Pre-plan your trip budget. Another early step in honeymoon planning is to agree on a trip budget. Trip costs can quickly spiral out of control without careful planning, so be sure to agree on a budget that both of you are comfortable with in advance. A honeymoon trip doesn’t have to be a huge splurge, but neither will you want to skimp on important details.
- Find the right balance of activities. Ecuador offers both relaxation and adventure, the trick is to find the right blend of each to keep you both happy. Also, don’t forget to include enough leisure days, allowing flexibility and downtime with one other.
- When to travel? The good news is that Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands are a year-round travel destination. There is no best or worst month to visit. The weather is always agreeably pleasant, and the amazing wildlife never rests.
- Use a trustworthy and knowledgeable agent. Getting help from experts will remove much of the stress from trip planning, as well as guaranteeing a hassle-free honeymoon in Ecuador. Happy Gringo Travel has been helping happy couples to book their dream honeymoon vacation since 2004, so you know you’ll be in safe hands.
- Search out romantic accommodations. A careful hotel selection can turn a good Ecuador honeymoon into an unforgettable one. Look for boutique hotels with special, romantic suites, or cruise cabins with private balconies for a truly extraordinary honeymoon experience.
- Plan a surprise. A carefully planned surprise for your partner can make your dream Ecuador honeymoon that extra bit special. Whether it’s a romantic candle-lit dinner by the beach, or a bouquet of flowers with champagne waiting in your suite, no detail is too much. We are only too happy to help create a secret experience to surprise your better half.
- Take a good camera. The magical photo opportunities are endless. Be sure to bring a good camera along to capture all the best moments, and pack extra memory cards too – trust us, you’ll need them.
In conclusion, a honeymoon in Ecuador has all of the right ingredients for a spell-binding vacation. The country offers the perfect mix of romance, passion, and adventure for lovers and newlyweds. So take the plunge, and once the rings are safely on your fingers, jump on a plane to Ecuador. We guarantee the spectacular photos and unforgettable memories will make your honeymoon last a lifetime!