Highlights of Kayaking in the heart of Yasuni
Deep in the heart of Yasuni National Park
- This active kayaking expedition takes intrepid travellers into the home of the famous Wuaorani indigenous tribe - fierce protectors of the forest and of their cultural identity.
- This is a very off the beaten path experience - few tourists ever have the chance to come face to face with the Wuaorani people! Immerse yourself in their culture, alongside local warriors who will share the secrets of how they survive in the wild.
- The Amazon rainforest kayaking action is also first class, with paddling action throughout the tour.
- Few Amazon tours get to enter into Yasuni National Park – this is one of the most pristine places on the planet, where you’ll search for wildlife including: monkeys, otters, tapir, sloths, caiman alligators, anaconda, jaguars and colourful forest birds.
- Other unforgettable activities on this tour include: Stand Up Paddle (SUP), Forest Hikes, Birdwatching, Swimming, Piranha Fishing, Photography
- Accommodation is provided at a basic campsite in a Wuaorani, beside their homes. Maximum group size is 6 to guarantee a more personal experience.
Wuaorani Kayak Adventure
PRICES PER PERSON 2022
- Group Tours
Number of passengers Prices
- 1 $2,095
- 2 - 6 $995
- Private Tours
Number of passengers Prices
- 1 $2,495
- 2 - 6 $1,295
- Day 1 Entrance into Yasuni and Kayaking the Shiripuno River to the Wuaorani camp, searching for wildlife along the way.
- Day 2 Morning hike and Kayak to Anaconda black water lagoon. Afternoon forest trek in search of insects and amphibians.
- Day 3 Early kayaking exploration in search of wildlife. Afternoon with the Wuaorani women to harvest yucca and fruits. At night search for caiman alligators.
- Day 4 Hike to a clay lick frequented by mammals and parrots. In the afternoon, the Wuaorani will teach you how to use a blow gun and spear, as well as preparing curare for their hunting darts.
- Day 5 Departure from camp, canoe back to Shiripuno bridge where we take transport back to Coca town.
Click below for a more detailed itinerary description, complete with meal and guide inclusions.
- Accommodation And Facilities
- Tour dates
- About the itinerary
- Packing list
- Amazon Weather
- Experienced, Certified English-Speaking Guide
- Wuaorani local guides
- Land and water transport to/from Coca
- Accommodation in tents for four nights
- All meals from Lunch on day1 to lunch on day5
- Water and snacks
- Water bottle
- Paddling gear: NRS expedition kayaks, NRS paddleboards, paddles and life jackets
- Camping gear: Eureka tents, air mattresses and blankets available. (we do have a proper bathroom at the campsite)
- Rubber boots for hiking
- All entrance fees to reserves
- Transport from Quito to Coca (flights cost aprox $260, bus is $8-10 per person)
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Travel insurance (mandatory as this is a very active trip)
- Optional extra activities
Accommodation And Facilities
- Camping in Eureka tents with air mattresses, social kitchen, shared bathroom.
Note: This expedition takes place in a remote location and the accommodation is very basic, but your guide will try to provide the best service possible.
Scheduled Group Tour Dates Throughout 2022:
About the itinerary
- This is a very active and adventurous trip, under the guidance of both a licensed tour guide and local jungle guide.
- The kayaking is on flat water, but long activity day, paddling can be up to 6 hours a day, the hiking is on irregular terrain and most of the time can be muddy, your guides will always be there to pass on important tips & give safety talks when needed.
- The tour starts and finishes in the town of Coca.
- Maximum group size is 6 people.
- Minimum age is 8 years old.
- River water levels and weather conditions may lead to variations in the itinerary.
- None of the wildlife sightings mentioned in the itinerary can be guaranteed. Each and every trip is different.
- Yellow fever vaccination and Malaria Medication are mandatory for this trip. We strongly recommend to ensure that routine immunizations such as tetanus and diphtheria are up to date and to consider Hepatitis A, B and Typhoid vaccinations. Covid vaccination and negative PCR test results are also required to visit the Wuoarani tribe.
- Optional Gifts for the Wuaorani (fishing line, multi-tools)
- Credit card
- Two pairs of lightweight hiking pants
- Two pairs of shorts
- Two bathing suits
- Three non-cotton T-shirts
- Two water T-shirts
- One light fleece
- Two rain jackets
- One pair of rain pants
- Two buffs
- One pair of tennis shoes
- One pair of water sandals
- One cap or hat
- Mosquito repellent
- Head lamp
- Optional binoculars
We recommend travelling light for this expedition. A duffel bag of 50 litters for your luggage and a backpack of 20 litters for daily activities should be sufficient. In the Amazon, the weather can change drastically from very sunny to super rainy. Waterproof bags are recommended.
- The Rainy season in the Amazon runs from December to June, with temperatures ranging from 23°C (73°F) to 30°C (86°F) and frequent rains throughout April and May. The Rainy Season has its pros because many plants have evolved to fruit and flower during the rainy season, a phenomenon which often attracts birds and primates to the water’s edge and grants visitors the chance to observe them more frequently.
- The Dry season in the Amazon lasts from July to November, with temperatures from 26°C (78°F) to 40°C (104°F). During this time there is less rain, though showers are still possible. The Dry Season also offers its own set of benefits, as the lower water levels attract animals that tourists won’t often see during the rainy season. Beach nesting birds are everywhere, as there are more beaches present during this time, for example.
What Our Clients Say
Great adventure in the Amazon with Chris and the Wuaroanis! We spent 5 days with Chris and Oscar with the Wuaorani. We lived with them, were taken hunting and had a wonderful time with them! Perfect organisation by the two guides with excellent food. A unique experience to discover the real jungle by canoe, without other tourists! Anytime again!!!
Unique experience with great guides My girlfriend and I went kayaking in the Amazon with Christian for 5 days and were able to get to know the culture of the Wuaroani. Everything worked out great, the guides were competent and helpful. It is a really extraordinary tour deep in the jungle. We can recommend this tour to anyone who is looking for an authentic experience away from mass tourism!