ULTIMATE ECUADOR MOUNTAIN BIKING TOUR
FOLLOW THE BEST BIKING ROUTES
- 6 full days of spectacular mountain biking action along lost trails of Ecuador’s Andes. This is very much an off the beaten path adventure!
- Enjoy an incredible diversity of landscapes along the biking route, including snow-capped volcanoes, dry valleys and lush cloud forest.
- Bike down the slopes of famous Cotopaxi volcano – one of the highest active volcanoes in the world.
- Bike the epic Mama Runi Trail, considered one of the top mountain biking trails in South America, and route of the famous Mama Runi downhill race.
- Cycle inside the largest inhabited volcanic crater on the planet at Pululahua, and along the foothills of giant Cotopaxi and Chimborazo Volcanoes.
- Non-biking highlights include: treking at Chimborazo Volcano – the closest point on earth to the sun. Visit to Otavalo market – the best bargains and locally made handicrafts. Experience local indigenous culture and traditions.
- Overnight at charming guest houses and/or historic haciendas each night, for a guaranteed cosy stay.
ULTIMATE ECUADOR MOUNTAIN BIKING TOUR
PRICES PER PERSON 2022
- Group Tours
- Private tours
*Minimum 2 passengers, maximum 8 passengers per tour.
- Day 1: Arrival to Quito at your own pace, evening briefing to meet your guide and the rest of the group as well as learn about what’s in store for the days of your expedition! (no meals included)
- Day 2: Infiernillo Trail – single track biking into rich green cloud forest of Pululahua volcano crater, ending with a beautiful view of the river valley. (B/L/D)
- Day 3: Machetes Trail - Northwest from Quito, the Machetes trail is tucked in between the quaint farms that fill the area, through Andean Forest and grasslands. We finish at Asavi indigenous community to share a local meal before heading to the hacienda to rest. (B/L/D)
- Day 4: El Chota Trail - Our days’ adventure takes us to near Laguna Yahuarcocha, on the twisting El Chota trail through rocky terrain, narrow passes, and dry forest. Optional souvenir shopping at Otavalo Market afterwards. (B/L)
- Day 5: Cotopaxi Trail - We bike over the volcano’s foothills, on sandy single-tracks inside Cotopaxi National Park. Picnic lunch with views of Incan ruins followed by more biking action. (B/L)
- Day 6: Hieleros Trail – Today begins with a trek from the first Chimborazo volcano basecamp at 16.000 ft (4.800m), to the second basecamp at almost 17,000 feet (5.000m). We’ll then bike back down through sandy and rocky terrain into the Polylepis forest ending near the city of Guaranda. (B/L/D)
- Day 7: Mama Rumi Trail - considered one of the top trails for mountain biking in all South America, the Mami Rumi is a heart-pumping, wild ride from the high Andes down to the humid banana plantations of the coast. (B)
- Day 8: Tour ends after breakfast at your Quito hotel. (B)
Click below on the "Full Itinerary" button for a more detailed itinerary description, complete with meal and guide inclusions.
Full itinerary under construction, please ask about the full itinerary to our sales team
- Experienced, Certified English-Speaking Guide
- Private transportation
- Accommodation for 7 nights
- Meals as listed in the itinerary
- Activities as listed in the itinerary
- Water and snacks
- Water bottle
- Biking gear: use of Trek Top Fuel EX “full suspension” included in the fee, certified helmets and gloves.
- All entrance fees to reserves & museums
- International or domestic flights
- Airport transfers
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Single supplement $315
- Discount for under 12 years old 20%
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Optional extra activities
- Group tours are scheduled to depart on Fridays throughout 2022 once the minimum of 2 passengers are booked.
- Private tours can operate on any day.
About the itinerary
- Average biking time: 3 – 4 hours per day
- Difficulty Level: challenging and technical
- Average drive times: 2 – 3 hours per day
- Altitude: From 800 meters (2600 ft.) to 4800 meters (16000 ft.)
- Biking guide is certified as a Wilderness First Aid Responder
What Our Clients Say
Anne Marie & Ed
My mountain biking and private transport experiences on this tour were excellent. The whole ride was truly amazing rides, especially Machetes (high-altitude down through a cloud forest) and El Chota (rocky, desert like landscapes). The full suspension bike is essential for these trails and was in great working order. Our guide Jose was proficient in English, an experienced rider (downhill racer in Ecuador), and well-traveled (e.g., Whistler and Squamish). During the rides I learned a bunch about the history and people of the region as well as the flora and fauna. To sum up, this was a top notch trip that I recommend without reservation and with great enthusiasm!