Ecuador Birding: Amazon & Cloudforest tour
World-class birding experience
Ecuador is a haven for bird-lovers from around the world due to its sheer diversity of habitats, incredible number of recorded bird species, and excellent year-round spotting opportunities. This tour combines two distinct ecosystems – the Amazon rainforest and the Andean Choco cloudforest. Birdwatchers rejoice!
- Tandayapa is a specialist lodge built and run by birdwatchers on the western slope of the Andes, with access to many trails through the pristine Choco cloudforest. The area is particularly renowned for hummingbirds with over 30 species having been recorded at the many feeders located at the lodge.
- Sacha Lodge is set in a 5000 acre private rainforest reserve, offering the very best specialist birding guides available in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Their spectacular 290m long canopy walkway / 43m high panoramic observation deck gives you unparalleled views high in the forest canopy, and potential to see up to 500 bird species that have been recorded in the reserve.
Ecuador Birding: Amazon & Cloudforest tour
PRICES PER PERSON 2022
- 1 passengers
- $4895 standard
- 2 passengers
- $3295 standard
- 3 passengers
- $2995 standard
- 4 passengers
- $2835 standard
- 5 passengers
- $2785 standard
- 6 passengers
- $2735 standard
- DAY 1 Quito arrival- Private pickup at the airport, transfer to your hotel. Free time to relax and acclimatize to your new surroundings.
- DAY 2 Transfer out + Flight to Coca + canoe to Sacha Lodge.
- DAY 3 Bird watching activities in Sacha Lodge.
- DAY 4 Bird watching activities in Sacha Lodge.
- DAY 5 Flight back Quito + Private transfer to your hotel.
- DAY 6 Transfer to the Cloudforest, arrive at Tandayapa Lodge for afternoon and night activities.
- DAY 7 Full day bird watching activities at different sites around the reserve.
- DAY 8 Morning birding activities + Private transfer back your hotel in Quito.
- DAY 9 Private transfer to airport. End tour.
Click below for a more detailed itinerary description, complete with meal and guide inclusions.
- Accommodation in double / twin rooms (or triple for odd-numbered groups who do not wish to pay any single supplement)
- Airport transfers with local Spanish-speaking driver
- Meals as listed in itinerary
- Activities as listed in itinerary
- English-speaking specialist birding guide at Tandayapa and Sacha
- Internet / non alcoholic drinks
- International flights
- Local entry fees
- Single supplement (applies for a single room for somebody travelling within a group). If you are travelling alone then please ask our staff for a solo traveler price quote.
- Personal expenses
- Dragonfly cable car ($40+taxes adults / 50% discount kids)
- The tour is designed to start on a Thursday. Departures on any other weekday are also possible, but may include a small surcharge for private canoe transport at Sacha.
Some of the recorded species in Sacha and Tandayapa are:
SACHA: zigzag heron, white hawk, ornate hawk-eagle, black-banded owl, hoatzin, fiery topaz, yellow-billed jacamar, Chestnut-eared Aracari, Spot-breasted woodpecker, ornate Antwren, lunulate antbird, white-plumed antbird, Ochre-striped Antpitta, white-crowned manakin, Rusty-belted tapaculo, Amazonian Umbrellabird, paradise tanager.
TANDAYAPA: streak capped tree-hunter, tricolored and white-winged brush-finches, white-winged becard, Dusky-capped flycatcher, thre-striped warbler, blue-winged mountain / golden / metallic green / Golden-naped tanager, red-headed barbets, Crimson-rumped toucanets, black and chestnut eagle, golden-headed quetzal, Andean cock of the rock, Sickle-winged Guan, Rufous-breasted antthrush, Plate-billed mountain toucan, toucan barbet, golden-winged manakin, Russet-crowned Warbler, white-capped dipper, western emerald / rufous-tailed / Andean emerald / Purple-bibbed white-tip / fawn-breasted / buff-tailed coronet / booted-racketail / violet-tailed sylph / purple-throated woodstar hummingbirds.
What Our Clients Say
Jeff Handler, USA
All of my holidays are for birding, at least one per year for the past 18 years of my life. I can honestly say that Ecuador is one of the very top of the places I have had the pleasure to visit for this purpose. Not only did I add many new bird species to my list as well as some wonderful photos, but the knowledge of the birding guides was exceptional throughout. Truly an unforgettable trip, and the Galapagos cruise add-on was the icing on the cake!