Highlights of the Mashpi Community Tourism
- An off the beaten track experience, taking you deep into Ecuador’s biodiverse cloud forest.
- Adventure trek to a beautiful hidden jungle waterfall.
- Visit an organic cacao project, to see how chocolate is made from bean to bar, and learn about forest permaculture.
- Swim in the crystalline waters of Mashpi River.
- Experience local life in the cloud forest, immersed in a cosy community.
- Marvel at the hummingbirds of Alambi Garden & visit Yumba ruins at Tulipe.
- Your trip directly supports people of the San Jose de Mashpi – lodging, meals and guides are all locally sourced from the community.
- Choose your own flexible travel dates, 365 days a year.
- Prices from just $835 per person for 7 days!
MASHPI COMMUNITY TOURISM
ITINERARIES AND PRICES PER PERSON 2022
- Number of passengers Prices Per Person
- 2 $385
- 3 $335
- 4 $295
- 5 $280
- 6 $270
- DAY 1: Transfer to the community of San Jose de Mashpi, stopping to enjoy the hummingbirds at Alambi garden on route. Afternoon visit to the Mashpi chocolate experience and surrounding orchards. (LD)
- DAY 2: An adventurous day trekking through jungle to Mashpi waterfall. Free time late afternoon to bathe in the river or relax in a hammock. (BLD)
- DAY 3: Early morning bird watching and trek at Mashpi Shungo forest reserve. Transfer back to Quito with a final stop at the Yumbo civilization ruins of Tulipe. (B)
This tour is off the beaten tourist path and suited to adventurous & easy-going travelers. Accommodation is rustic & tourist infrastructure is basic, but the overall trip experience more than makes up for this.
Click above on the "Full Itinerary" button for a more detailed itinerary description, complete with meal and guide inclusions.See Full ItinerarySee Full Itinerary Contact Sales Person
- Accommodation in private double / twin / triple / cuad rooms with shared bathroom.
- Private transport with local Spanish-speaking driver on days 1 and 3.
- Meals as listed in itinerary.
- Activities as listed in itinerary.
- English-speaking guide at Mashpi chocolate & Mashpi Shungo.
- Spanish-speaking community guide for waterfall trek.
- Use of rubber boots for treks.
- International flights.
- Local entry fees to Alambi / Tulipe.
- Personal expenses
- This tour is available to start on any day throughout the year, subject to availability of community guides & lodging.
About This Itinerary
- This tour is off the beaten tourist path and suited to adventurous & easy-going travelers. Accommodation is rustic & tourist infrastructure is basic, but the overall trip experience more than makes up for this.
- The waterfall trek is adventurous, and involves multiple river crossings where you will get wet. If this is not for you please let us know in advance to organize an alternative trekking route.
- The itinerary may vary based on local weather conditions & river levels.
What Our Clients Say
Johnny P, London UK
This was one of our favorite travel experiences in all Ecuador! Mashpi village is a paradise, with lush forest all around and a picturesque river just a short walk away. The locals we met there more than made up for their basic English with such friendly attitudes. The Mashpi chocolate tour was eye-opening – I didn’t know much about permaculture or forest conservation beforehand, so this was educational and inspiring. Last but not least the waterfalls trek was incredible – one of the best treks I’ve ever done. It felt like an Indiana Jones adventure, fording rivers, exploring hidden jungle paths, until the stunning waterfall appears from the forest. Well done Happy Gringo for offering something out of the ordinary, and to everyone at Mashpi community for making it possible.