Request a Free Quote
Request a Free Quote
Highlights of the Maquipucuna Cloud Forest Lodge
- Maquipucuna Ecolodge offers the unique opportunity to explore a combination of pristine rainforest and cloud forest.
- The Maquipucuna cloud forest reserve is the best place in the world to see Andean bears (Spectacled bear) in the wild (seasonally), all within easy walking distance from the lodge.
- In the reserve you can also find over 400 species of birds, including an easily accessible Andean Cock-of-the-rock lek, & flocks of hummingbirds at the feeders, sure to fascinate bird lovers.
- There are over 32km of forest trails to explore, rivers and waterfalls for a refreshing swim, or the orchid path and butterfly garden for peaceful contemplation.
- Delicious home cooked meals are served daily in the open air restaurant, together with freshly brewed specialty Arabica coffee produced at Maquipucuna.
- Maquipucuna cloud forest is located just 2 hours drive from Quito, making it the perfect short break for days of peace, tranquility & immersion in nature.
Maquipucuna Cloud Forest Lodge Photos
Maquipucuna Cloud Forest Lodge
Itineraries and pricing 2019
- 2 days$306Per person
- 3 days$512Per person
- 2 days$232Per person
- 3 days$364Per person
Accommodation- Based on 2 people sharing
- 2 days$264Per person
- 3 days$428Per person
- 2 days$200Per person
- 3 days$300Per person
Each full day at the lodge includes a morning and an afternoon guided activity which may include:
- Guided hikes to learn about local medicinal and other useful plants
- Walking through pre-Inca trails
- Visiting salt springs used by the Yumbo pre-Inca peoples
- Andean bear sightings (during bear season)
- Insect, mammal and frog sightings during night hikes
- Self-guided trails to explore by yourself
- Swimming in pristine rivers and waterfalls
- Visiting nearby community projects (please make advanced reservations)
- Chocolate massages (please make advanced reservations, extra payment required)
Special birding itineraries are also available – Please check with us for information & pricing
Maquipucuna lodge offers access to 32 kilometers (20 mi) of trails. The trails vary in their range of difficulty and a guide is recommended for some. Ask your guide or the Maquipucuna staff for a trail map so you can explore by yourselves. Your guide will also help you to select the most appropriate trails based on your fitness level and specific wildlife interests. The trails:
- Waterfall Trail: 200 meters. 10 minutes one way.
- The Spectacled Bear: Variable Distance from 1 1/2 hours to 2-3 days camping and hiking up hill. One way.
- Humedal Trail: 3 1/2 km, 3 1/2-hour loop trail.
- Self-Guided Trail: 1km. 45-minute loop.
- Tranquil Trail: 6 km. 4-5-hour hike.
- River Trail: 3 km. 2 1/2-hour loop.
- Palmitos Trail: 4.5 km. 4-hour loop.
- Muleteer’s Trail to a larger waterfall: 5.5 km. 4-5 hours.
- Discounts may be available for larger groups sharing a room.
- Single supplement applies for solo travelers.
- Cachillacta House: is disconnected from the main lodge (1-minute walk from main lodge) and overlooks the crystalline Alambi river. These spacious suites, features private bathroom and furniture for relaxing.
- Ayllu House: Ideal for families or small groups of friends to stay all together under the same roof. Located just 5 minutes from the main lodge this cabin can comfortably sleep up to 6 guests and offers private bathrooms and a living room.
- Tulipe House: Classic accommodation offering suites with double beds, private bathrooms and amazing views of the forest.
- Umachacha House: Budget accommodation with shared bathroom and shower facilities in the main lodge.
- Lodge accommodation on double / twin basis
- 3 meals per day (from lunch on day1 to lunch on final day)
- Entrance fee to the protected reserve
- Shared transportation Quito-Lodge-Quito
- Guided hikes with shared local English speaking guide
- Unlimited hydration: filtered spring water available all day. Lemonade, coffee and herbal teas during meals, and before bird watching
- Rubber boots to use during your stay
- Private guides (can be booked in advance at additional cost)
- Private transportation or pick up places from places other than Quito hotel's (can be booked in advance at additional cost)
- Extras at the lodge: such as drinks, snacks, souvenirs and other personal expenses
- Activities not included in the itinerary
- Single supplement charge for solo travelers