Highlights of Guango Lodge
- Guango Lodge is a paradise for bird lovers and photographers alike; it is not uncommon to see up to 14 species of humming birds in one hour, including the amazing sword-billed hummingbird.
- Guango is located near the paramo zone and hot springs of Papallacta, surrounded by a 300-hectare reserve & network of trails, offering the perfect opportunity for trekking, wildlife observation & relaxation.
- The lodge has 8 small but charming rooms, with hot water showers, in-room tea/coffee facilities, and hot water bottles available at night. Social areas are cozy with warm fire places in the evening.
- Located just 1 hour drive from Quito Airport, Guango Lodge is convenient for a day trip, or a 2-3 day city-break excursion.
- Guango lodge is also a conscious initiative for nature conservation and community support, and active in employing & training local residents from the area.
- The myriad of forest trails offer access to a world of hidden secrets, to be explored with a naturalist guide, or by yourself.
Itineraries and pricing per person 2022
- SGL (per person)$4105
- DBL (per person)$81
- English speaking guide (total)(from 6am to 6pm)$112
All prices are per person
Itinerary: General interest tour package
- DAY 1Journey from Quito through the scenic and biodiverse paramo cloudforest. First visit is at a rose plantation. Then onto Papallacta´s paramo to admire the amazing Antisana volcano. In the afternoon, arrival to the lodge for lunch. Early afternoon hike and return to the lodge to enjoy a delicious local drink called “canelazo”.
- DAY 2After breakfast, we take you trout fishing. Next to the Hummingbird feeders to admire various species birds, and an optional walk in the orchid garden. After lunch trekking through an ancient Polylepis forest, and return to Quito in the late afternoon.
- Lodge accommodation on double/twin basis (7 twin rooms, 1 single room available, or triple on request)
- 3 meals per day (from lunch on day 1 to lunch on final day)
- Professional bilingual birding guide
- Transfers in and out (shared basis from Quito)
- Day trips to specified reserves, including entry fees
- Overnight stay, breakfast, entrance to reserve, use of trails, drinking water
- Extras in the lodge, like drinks, laundry service and snacks
- Activities not included in the itinerary
- Single supplement
- Other meals, guide service (additional cost $112 per day), transport to/from Quito, tips, other expenses
Tour DatesThis tour is available throughout the year. Flexible to start on any day of the week that you prefer to travel..
About itineraries & PricesFor birding tours prices please ask our sales team Longer packages are also availab
About Bird sightingsObviously wildlife sightings will vary, but some of the birds of particular interest that you may see regularly at Guango Lodge include: Andean Guan, Gray-breasted Mountain-Toucan, Turquoise Jay, Scarlet-bellied, Lacrimose, Buff-breasted and Hooded Mountain-Tanagers, Gray-hooded Bush-Tanager, Black-headed, Black-capped and Black-eared Hemispingus and Slaty Bursh-Finch, Mountain Velvetbreast, Sword-billed Hummingbird, Tourmaline Sunangel, Golden-breasted and Glowing Pufflegs, Mountain Avocetbill, and White-bellied and Gorgeted Woodstars.
What Our Clients Say
We stayed four nights at Guango, and were the only ones in the lodge for three nights - so it was very quiet and peaceful. The location is great, plenty of on-site trails, walks along the river - as well as being close to other hiking/birdwatching locations. Hummingbird feeders attract a nice variety of birds, we saw several new hummingbirds, including the sword-billed. Guango Lodge is a great place to go exploring andes and paramo
I was here with a group of photographers, particularly focused on hummingbirds, but we enjoyed the other birds present in the forest around the lodge too. Visitors do need to be prepared for cool/cold nights in unheated rooms, and rooms are very small. The staff at the lodge were attentive, meals were varied and included local flavours. Hiking trails along the Papallacta River were a welcome break from photography
We stayed at Guango one night with others on a specialist bird watching tour. The hummingbird feeders are amazing - lots of beautiful birds to see. There are also interesting trails on the property which was saved from development and still run by the same family. Although the rooms are simple, the beds were comfortable and the lodge even provided each guest with a hot water bottle!! The staff was friendly and caring. A lovely spot!!