Hightlights of Wild Sumaco Lodge
- Wild Sumaco Lodge is a premier birdwatching location, currently listed as #1 birding hotspot in Ecuador (ebird.org with 635 observed species.
- Expert local guides are on hand to spot an enviable array of bird families, from rare antpittas to puffbirds, antbirds, hummers, toucans, manakins, and much more. It’s not just birdlife, visitors can cross paths with mammals and unusual insects too.
- Wild Sumaco Lodge is located within off-the-beaten-path Sumaco National Park. The area is classified as eastern foothill rainforest.
- The lodge itself is comfortable & well maintained, with an expansive viewing terrace, hummingbird feeders, varied forest trails, and cosy dining area.
- Sumaco guests will never go hungry! Fabulous and plentiful food is available throughout the day, and the in-lodge service is both friendly and helpful.
- Wild Sumaco is accessible by road from Quito (4 and ½ hours drive), making it the perfect birding destination for a city getaway.
Amazon Wild Sumaco Lodge
Itineraries and pricing 2023
Browse through the different itineraries below by clicking on each one.
- Number of Travelers Price per person USD
- 1 $1450
- 2 $935
- 3 $875
- 4 $840
- 5 $815
- 6 $795
Itinerary for 4 days
- Day 1 An early departure from Quito, for the journey to Sumaco National Park. The private ride takes around 4 and ½ hours, with nice mountain and forest views along the way. Settle in on arrival, and enjoy a delicious lunch. The afternoon is then free to relax, watch the hummingbirds at the feeders, or begin birding around the grounds / from the terrace.
- Day 2 Enjoy a full day with local birding guide. This is flexible to your desires, and can be adapted to search for any specific target birds that you may have. Options include time at the blind and feeders, hitting the trails, visiting the antpitta feeding station, or looking for mixed flocks along the entrance road.
- Day 3 Another full day of quality birding, accompanied by your local guide. Again, your options are flexible to explore the trails and lodge area in search of the best birding action.
- Day 4 After a hearty breakfast, it’s time to meet your private driver for the return to Quito, with stop for a relaxing soak at Papallacta hot springs on route.
NOTE: There are excellent options to custom-make a longer visit to Wild Sumaco, together with other birding sites on the eastern slopes. Other popular birding destinations that combine easily with this trip include Antisana National Park, the Papallacta pass area, Guango Lodge and San Isidro Lodge. Just let us know if you’re interested in tailoring a longer birding trip.
Request free quote
Amazon Tours Specifications
- Accommodation in twin / double cabins.
- Return transport to/from Quito.
- Meals from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on final day.
- Excursions as per itinerary.
- Local birding guide on days 2 and 3 (only basic spoken English, but excellent at finding and identifying birds).
- Use of boots.
- Access to trekking trails, blind, hummingbird feeders, antpitta feeding station.
- Entry fee to Papallacta hot springs.
- Beverages from the bar.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses (from the gift shop).
- Single Supplement $65.
Accommodation and facilities
- Rooms: twin, double, and triple
- Private bathroom: Yes.
- Showers: Yes – hot water.
- Electricity: 24-hour un-interrupted electricity
- Boots: Provided by lodge staff
- Private transfer by road from Quito to Sumaco (and return) is included in the price of this tour package.